- Half-day Tuscany hiking tour from Siena including wine tasting
- Follow part of the Via Francigena, a medieval pilgrim route that leads to Rome
- Learn more about the history of the route from an expert guide
- Walk between Siena and the medieval walled village of Monteriggioni
- Soak up the stunning Tuscan scenery of rolling vine-and-olive-covered hills
- Sip on local wine during a tutored tasting session in Monteriggioni
- Make use the train ticket included to return to Siena
Departure & Return
Starting point is from outside the pharmacy next to the train stations main entrance.
What To Expect
While its popularity decreased with the rise of automobiles, the Via Francigena is regaining popularity as there are now regular hikers and pilgrims on the trail. Stroll along the path and notice the beauty around you: the rolling hills blanketed in olive groves and the occasional vineyard. Pass through ancient villages that look the same as they did centuries ago when pilgrims would stride past.
After your hike, arrive at the striking village of Monteriggioni, a tiny walled town plopped atop of a medium-sized hill. Take part in a wine tasting here at a local wine shop and taste two different local varieties. After, feel free to explore the village at your leisure, popping into small shops, sitting down for lunch or investigating the medieval walls of the village. Your guide gives you a map that shows how to get to the railway station and, when you like, you can get the train back to Siena for the comfortable and scenic ride.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 16 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not recommended for people with physical disabilities or unable to walk on uneven ground and countryside footpaths for 3 hours
- Comfortable shoes are recommended
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tuscan Escapes by Papilio
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms