Cimiez Monastery (Monastere de Cimiez)
Located in the quiet district of Cimiez, this Franciscan monastery (sometimes wrongly translated as Cimiez Convent) is home to a small community of Franciscan friars. Travelers can discover Cimiez Monastery as part of a half-day guided tour or on a full-day hop-on hop-off double-decker bus tour with stops at Nice’s most popular attractions, such as Promenade des Anglais, Mont Boron, Matisse Museum (Musée Matisse), and the Chagall Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall).
Things to Know Before You Go
A visit to Cimiez Monastery is suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families.
Admission to the Franciscan monastery is free.
If you travel via hop-on, hop-off bus, audio commentary and headsets are included on the trip.
The monastery and the bus are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Cimiez Monastery is located at at Place du Monastère in the northern Cimiez district of Nice. Easily accessible by bus from the central bus station just outside the old town, catch No. 15, 17, 20, 22, or 25 and travel up the hill to the Arènes stop just in front of the monastery.
When to Get There
The museum is open year-round Monday through Saturday in the morning and late afternoon with a midday break. The church is open daily. With a mild Mediterranean climate, Nice is a destination to visit any time of year. Come in spring and autumn to avoid crowds, pricy hotel rooms, and the heat of summer.
Treasures of the Monastery
Amongst the more than 300 documents and artworks from the 15th to 18th centuries are ones of enormous value, includingPietà, Crucifixion and Deposition by Italian medieval artist Ludovico Bréa. In the monastery's cemetery, look for the tombstones of celebrated French painters Henri Matisse (festooned with flowers and letters from aspiring artists) and Raoul Dufy, as well as Roger Martin du Gard, winner of the 1937 Nobel Prize in Literature.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Matisse Museum (Musée Matisse)
- Marc Chagall National Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall)
- Cote d’Azur Observatory (Observatoire de la Cote d’Azur)
- Place Garibaldi
- Castle Hill (Colline du Château)
- Massena Square (Place Masséna)
- Hotel Negresco
- Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marché aux Fleurs Cours Saleya)
- Mt. Boron (Mont Boron)
- St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas)
- Quai Lunel
- Quai des États-Unis
- Molinard Perfumery (Maison Molinard)
- Massena Art & History Museum (Musée Masséna)
- Villefranche Cruise Port (Port de la Santé)