The Grand Strand ranks among the most popular areas of South Carolina for good reason—there’s fun for just about any type of traveler. While the sandy shores are a major draw, the entire stretch of coastline is dotted with resorts, golf courses (some of the best golfing in the state), and small towns. Myrtle Beach represents the most developed area of the Grand Strand, with a ton to see and do in a relatively small area. Visitors looking for a sleepier beach vacation can opt for a stay in Garden City, Surfside, or Little River instead. The historic town of Georgetown was one of the first European settlements in North America.
Things to know before you go
- The Grand Strand is one of South Carolina’s top destinations for families, but it’s also popular with couples.
- Don’t forget to pack a bathing suit, beach towel, and sunscreen for a day in the sand.
- Book your Myrtle Beach attraction tickets ahead of time to skip lines at ticket offices and maximize your fun time.
How to get there
The Grand Strand runs along the Atlantic coast of South Carolina from Little River to Winyah Bay. Myrtle Beach International Airport serves as the main point of entry into the region.
When to get there
The best time to visit the Grand Strand is in the early fall, when temperatures are still warm but the summer vacation crowds have diminished. Be sure to book well ahead of time if you’re visiting during the peak summer season or spring break.
State Parks of the Grand Strand
The Grand Strand area of South Carolina is home to two excellent state parks. Myrtle Beach State Park protects an area of maritime forest, where visitors can hike a nature trail or enjoy some of the best surf fishing in the state. At Huntington Beach State Park, go bird-watching, see nesting loggerhead turtles in their natural environment, tour the former winter home of Anna Hyatt Huntington, or visit the nearby Brookgreen Gardens.
- Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach
- Hard Rock Cafe Myrtle Beach
- Broadway at the Beach
- WonderWorks Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach SkyWheel
- Ripley's Haunted Adventure Laser Strike
- Ripley's Marvelous Mirror Maze
- Hollywood Wax Museum Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Waves Water Park
- Family Kingdom Amusement Park
- Carolina Opry
- Medieval Times Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach State Park
- Barefoot Landing
- North Myrtle Beach